Principal Scientist- Quantum Machine Learning, Full time, Onsite – Amsterdam, the Netherlands
is a major player in the global quantum race. We are a full-stack company and the leading manufacturer of neutral atom quantum computers. Our offerings include quantum computing hardware, cloud access and software solutions for industries related to energy, mobility, healthcare, high tech, aerospace and finance. By embracing the dual analog/digital nature of our quantum computers, we are pushing quantum neutral atom technology forward in the hope of delivering a practical quantum advantage within the next two years.
is growing their team of talented individuals working on relevant real-world industrial applications of quantum computing, together with our clients and collaborators. The team which focuses on algorithms and applications is based in Amsterdam, a vibrant and livable city with international allure, and an active deep tech community.
As Principal Scientist- Quantum Machine Learning, you will work among top scientists and developers in the quantum industry. You will work in partnership with our full-stack quantum team in France developing application software and understanding the reality of quantum hardware.
- Manage and mentor a team of 10+ quantum algorithm researchers at various levels in their career (Junior, Mid, & Senior level)
- The projects you’ll focus on are primarily long-term internal R&D, with additional client and collaborator project work
- Create vision and roadmap for the subsegment of quantum machine learning algorithm research known as Quantum Neural Networks; this includes primarily regression tasks on multi-dimensional scalar input/output
- Work with our hardware teams to coordinate the fine-tuning of existing algorithms to our digital-analog approach, incorporating error-mitigation schemes, and develop novel quantum algorithms suitable particularly for neutral atom quantum processors.
- Work closely together with PASQAL’s use case teams to understand which application domains could potentially benefit from industrially relevant quantum advantage
- Support your quantum algorithm developers working on client projects, ensure alignment of project directions with research roadmap
- Support business development efforts by participating in technical presentations and preparatory discussions
- Help recruit and mentor a team of quantum algorithm researchers: you will shape and grow your team
We'll provide training and provide technical experts as you get introduced to the company, algorithm portfolio and hardware specifics. Being a senior level role, having a thorough understanding and experience in general quantum computing and related technology will be required coming in on day 1.
This position will report directly to our Senior Vice President R&D: Algorithms & Use cases. The work will be based on site in our Amsterdam office (London or Paris options negotiable under exceptional circumstance).
This is a scientific leadership role (20% Hands-On Researcher-80% Lead/Mentoring)
What you will need to be successful in this role coming in:
- 3+ years of professional (Post-doc) work experience
(academic or private sector) in (quantum) physics research or related field (applied mathematics, computational physics, computational research, machine learning, etc.)
- PhD in quantum or a related field
(physics, engineering, computer science, applied mathematics etc.)
- Demonstrable experience/publications in the field of quantum neural network algorithm
- Solid knowledge of the basic principles of quantum physics
- Solid knowledge of quantum computing and quantum machine learning (QML)
- Intermediate programming skills (Python preferred)
- Experience speaking in front of technical audiences as well as 1-on-1 supervision.
- Team spirit, ambitious, organized, pro-active, sense of urgency… a true pioneer!
- Proven professional experience as a leader and mentoring and growing junior team members
- Supervision experience sufficient to be able to supervise a team at PASQAL of 5-10 quantum developers (at the PhD/postdoc level), from the first year
- English: strong professional communication skills in English is essential (written and oral).
Bonus points for:
- On top of solid Python, also Julia programming experience
- Software project supervision, development (Project Management)
- Quantum SDK experience
- Experience working in a startup environment
Building on over 40 years of academic research, co-founded by Alain Aspect one of the 2022 Nobel Laureates in Physics, PASQAL is on track to commercialize a 1000-qubit quantum processor with scalable neutral atom technology and industrially relevant application development in a full-stack setup. This makes PASQAL one of the world-class key players in this quantum race. Will you join us?
- PASQAL is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, music preference, religion or sexual orientation.
- No third-party recruiters please.
- Amsterdam onsite position preferred; hybrid/remote negotiable from France.