Quantum Neural Network Team Lead- Onsite/Hybrid Amsterdam, Netherlands. Direct hire / Full time.
PASQAL designs and develops Quantum Processing Units (QPUs) and associated software tools.
Our innovative technology enables us to address use cases that are currently beyond the reach of the most powerful supercomputers; these cases can concern industrial application challenges as well as fundamental science needs.
In addition to the exceptional computing power they provide, QPUs are highly energy efficient and will contribute to a significant reduction in the carbon footprint of the HPC industry.
As a Quantum Neural Network Team Lead, you will work among top scientists and developers in the quantum industry. You will also work with our full-stack quantum team in France coordinating projects to run on the reality of quantum hardware.
Your starting project will involve taking a lead role in research & development of quantum neural networks and quantum generative modeling. You will be using quantum algorithms previously developed by PASQAL as well as novel directions, under direct guidance of the Head of Quantum Machine Learning.
In your work, you will be supported by your own team of quantum algorithm developers that you give direction to. They focus on both internal R&D and client project work in generative modeling, hardware implementations of QML models, and fundamentals of QNN’s. You will start with supervising 2 members and your team will grow up to 4-5 in the next 2 years.
You will be supported on the project management side by a project manager, who will ensure alignment of project directions with contractual obligations, timelines and deliverables, time management, and alignment of the project with PASQAL's strategy throughout its lifetime. They will support you in managing client expectations, client satisfaction management, administrative tasks, billing notifications, and more. This means your focus can be on the technical/scientific aspects of the projects you will be responsible for.
You will start with a specific quantum generative modeling project. You will implement existing paradigms for novel applications as well as further extend the functionalities and performance. This will be done based on a combination of in-house quantum SDK coding as well as analytical investigations (whiteboard/mathematics).
In a broader context, project topics at PASQAL include primarily algorithm R&D in the domains of generative modelling, differential equation solving, (graph) machine learning, optimization and simulation
The projects are primarily long-term R&D projects with clients and collaborators
Your position will be within the QML team which is within the R&D Algorithms & Use case department. You will be involved in the interplay between algorithm and hardware teams to develop quantum algorithmic applications suitable particularly for neutral atom quantum processors. You will work closely together with PASQAL’s use case teams to understand which application domains could potentially benefit from industrially relevant quantum advantage. You will employ a co-design ethos, in which your quantum algorithms are tailored to run in harmony with the specific capabilities of the neutral atom platform. This means taking into account the analog, digital-analog and digital functionalities of the platform as well as required measures to compensate for noisy execution, such as error mitigation protocols
Finally, you will support business development efforts by participating in technical presentations and preparatory discussions for new client project leads, including matters of IP and workload.
- PhD in Quantum Computing, or related field (applied/theoretical physics, engineering, computer science, applied mathematics etc.) together with demonstrable quantum computing experience (QML)
- Demonstrable experience with Neural Networks (Quantum Neural Networks a bonus)
- 1+ years of work experience after your PhD (either industrial or postdoc).
- Experience speaking in front of technical audiences, discussing with both internal and external team
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Demonstrable programming experience (Python is a must, AD packages like Torch a bonus)
- Team spirit, ambitious, organized, pro-active, sense of urgency… a true pioneer!
- English: a good professional capability is essential (written and oral).
- Quantum computing industrial experience
- Python software development in a team setting
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Supervision of junior employees, students and/or interns
What we offer
- Beautiful brand new offices in Amsterdam
- A flexible rhythm of face-to-face work (1-2 days of telecommuting per week)
- Type of contract : Full time/Direct Hire
- A dynamic and close-knit international team
- A key role in a growing start-up
- Free time to train and go to conferences/meetups
- An interview with our talent acquisition team
- An exchange with our Team lead
- A home work and a review with our VP of Algorithms
- A meeting with the team in our beautiful offices
- An offer !
Joining PASQAL will give you the opportunity to take an active part in the rapid development of a deep-tech start-up at the forefront of the second quantum revolution.
You will be directly involved in one of the biggest challenges shaping the technological landscape of the 21st century. You will work in a team of top scientists and engineers, competing directly with the world's biggest players.
PASQAL is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, as inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, religion or sexual orientation.